For your safety and convenience, the VTA has adopted rules and policies governing the operation of the fixed route bus system as well as the conduct of passengers utilizing VTA services.
Catching the Bus
- Be at the bus stop 5 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time
- If you need a reasonable modification to use this or any VTA service due to disability, please call 508-693-9440 x3 and the VTA will be glad to assist you.
In addition to posted stops, the VTA operates a flag-bus system. Thus, passengers may wave to the bus driver along the route for pick-up. (Passengers must be waiting on the correct side of the road for the direction that they are going.) Due to safety and traffic congestion there are exceptions to this allowance.
Buses are prohibited from stopping at the following:
- At Intersections
- On curves
As well as the following specific locations:
- Edgartown - Main Street, beyond Church Street
- Edgartown - Edgartown-Vineyard Haven Road, near the Square Rigger Restaurant/Triangle area
- Vineyard Haven - Anywhere on Water Street
- Vineyard Haven - State Road, between Water Street and Main Street
- Vineyard Haven - Edgartown-Vineyard Haven Road, between State Road and the first crosswalk (Delano Avenue)
- Vineyard Haven - Beach Road, between the Citgo Gas Station and the Steamship Authority Circle
- Oak Bluffs – New York Ave, between Summer Camp Hotel and Ocean Park (Applicable May – September)
- South Beach (Atlantic Drive, Edgartown). Stops are at Right Fork, Left Fork and the changing station between forks only
- State Beach (Beach Road Oak Bluffs – Edgartown). Stops are at the crosswalk at the Bend in the Road and at pull off stops by the Big Bridge only.
- Passengers will be permitted travel aboard VTA vehicles by paying the appropriate fare or using a valid VTA pass. The only exception to this is children under 6 years of age, who travel free when accompanied by an adult.
- Exact change is strongly suggested. No cash is returned from farebox. Farebox will issue change cards valid on VTA buses. Please do not ask drivers for change, as they are not permitted to handle fares.
- Fareboxes accept unfolded $1, $5, $10 and $20 bills as well as all American coins. Please insert one at a time.
- Fares and Passes are non-transferable and non-refundable.
- Fares are subject to change without notice.
Crossing the Street
- For your safety, cross the street after the bus has pulled away. This allows a full view of oncoming traffic in both directions.
- All buses are equipped with bike racks that will accommodate 2 bicycles.
- Bike owners load and unload bikes, on a first come first served basis
- Directions for loading are on bike rack
- Return rack to its upright position after the last bike is removed
- Bicycles are not allowed inside the bus at any time.
- Domestic pets are permitted on buses if they are well behaved, friendly, and on a leash or in a carrier. Pets are not allowed on the seats.
- If another passenger objects to the animal due to allergies, you may be required to wait for the next bus, unless your pet is a service animal.
- All luggage must fit in luggage compartments located inside the vehicle. Nothing may be left in the aisle at any time.
- Large objects such as surfboards and ladders are not allowed on bus.
- Hazardous materials (i.e. containers of fuel, batteries etc.) are not permitted on bus.
- The VTA is not responsible for lost or stolen belongings.
- The VTA will hold onto items turned into lost and found for a period of at least one week. To check lost and found, please call the VTA offices at (508) 693-9440 ext. 7.
- Priority seating is for the elderly and disabled. If you are seated in a priority seat, please offer it to a passenger in need.
- Seatbelts are provided on most buses. Use of seatbelts is optional, but encouraged.
- Cell phones are allowed on the buses, however, we urge you to be considerate of other passengers as well as the driver, maintain a quiet volume and limit unnecessary chatter. If you must use a cell phone, please move to the rear of the bus so that the driver is able to converse with other passengers.
- Standees are permitted behind the white line only. When standing, hold onto handrail or seat handle while the bus is in motion.
- No passenger is allowed to board a VTA vehicle wearing roller blades or roller-skates.
- Eating, drinking and smoking are not permitted on the buses. Beverages that are in sealed containers (ie. soda or water bottles with caps) are allowed, but should not be consumed while on board. Coffee or other beverages contained in travel mugs are also acceptable, but disposable cups (ie. plastic, paper, etc.) are not allowed.
- Bare feet are not allowed on the bus.
- The VTA reserves the right to refuse entry to, expel, or permanently ban any passenger, who in the judgment of the VTA, through its Operator, interferes with the safe operation of the vehicle; including but not limited to: showing a lack of respect to the rights of the other passengers, use of profanity, lewd behavior, endangering the health of other passengers and driver or is deemed to be disruptive.