The VTA offers Travel Training for seniors and people with mobility impairments who are motivated to learn how to safely and independently use the fixed-route bus system. Training is provided free-of-charge except for the trainee’s bus fare while training is taking place.
Our Travel Trainers provide personalized, one-on-one instruction which takes each trainee’s unique needs and abilities into account as well as group instruction on how to use fixed-route buses.
One-on-one sessions are primarily field-based and can consist of a general introduction on how to use fixed-route buses or sessions can focus on a specific destination. Travel Training is self-paced and is conducted in a series of steps from initial one-on-one instruction to the gradual fading of trainer assistance ending with independent travel. An instructor will stay with participants until they feel comfortable and confident riding the bus.
Trainees select their travel destinations which typically include: work, medical appointments, shopping, and other community recreation sites.
Trainees who successfully complete one-on-one training will be able to travel to and from their destination and do the following:
- Cross streets independently and safely
- Arrive on time and safely at their bus stop
- Identify, board, and disembark from the bus
- Pay fares, via cash or pass, and request a transfer (if applicable)
- Demonstrate appropriate behavior and bus etiquette
- Understand how to gather information
- Manage an unexpected situation
- Be aware of how to interact with strangers
Benefits of Travel Training
- Enhances freedom, mobility, and independence
- Provides access to safe and low-cost transportation
- Increases self-confidence
- Promotes healthy living by enabling people to stay active in the community
For further information please contact the VTA’s Mobility Services Coordinator at (508) 693-9440 ext.111 or click here to send an email.